The Land Development Agency intend to apply to An Bord Pleanála (the Board) for a 10 year permission for a Strategic Housing Development, with a total application site area of c.9.6 ha, on lands at the Central Mental Hospital, Dundrum Road, Dundrum, Dublin 14. The subject site is in the immediate setting and curtilage of a number of proposed protected structures, namely the ‘Asylum’ (RPS No. 2072), the ‘Catholic Chapel’ (RPS No. 2071) and the ‘Hospital Building’ (RPS No. 2073).
The development will consist of the demolition of existing structures associated with the existing use (3,736 sq m), including:
• Single storey former swimming pool / sports hall and admissions unit (2,750 sq m);
• Two storey redbrick building (305 sq m);
• Single storey ancillary and temporary structures including portacabins (677 sq m);
• Removal of existing internal sub-divisions/ fencing, including removal of security fence at Dundrum Road entrance;
• Demolition of section of porch and glazed screens at Gate Lodge building (4 sq m);
• Removal of walls adjacent to Main Hospital Building;
• Alterations and removal of section of wall to Walled Garden.
The development will also consist of alterations and partial demolition of the perimeter wall, including:
• Alterations and removal of section of perimeter wall adjacent to Rosemount Green (south);
• Formation of a new opening in perimeter wall at Annaville Grove to provide a pedestrian and cyclist access;
• Alterations and removal of sections of wall adjacent to Dundrum Road (including removal of existing gates and entrance canopy), including reduction in height of section, widening of existing vehicular access, provision of a new vehicular, cyclist and pedestrian access;
• Alterations and removal of section of perimeter wall adjacent to Mulvey Park to provide a pedestrian and cyclist access.
The development with a total gross floor area of c. 106,770 sq m (c. 106,692 sq m excluding retained existing buildings), will consist of 977 no. residential units comprising:
• 940 no. apartments (consisting of 53 no. studio units; 423 no. one bedroom units; 37 no. two bedroom (3 person) units; 317 no. two bedroom (4 person) units; and 110 no. three bedroom units) arranged in 9 blocks (Blocks 02-10) ranging between 2 and 6 storeys in height (with a lower ground floor to Block 03 and Block 10, resulting in part 7 storey), together with private (balconies and private terraces) and communal amenity open space provision (including courtyards and roof gardens) and ancillary residential facilities;
• 17 no. duplex apartments (consisting of 3 no. two bedroom units and 14 no. three bedrooms units located at Blocks 02, 08 and 09), together with private balconies and terraces.
• 20 no. two and three storey houses (consisting of 7 no. three bedroom units and 13 no. four bedroom units) and private rear gardens located at Blocks 02, 08 and 09).
The development will also consist of 3,889 sq m of non-residential uses, comprising:
• Change of use and renovation of existing single storey Gate Lodge building (reception/staff area) to provide a café unit (78 sq m);
• 1 no restaurant unit (307 sq m) located at ground floor level at Block 03;
• 6 no. retail units (1,112 sq m) located at ground floor level at Blocks 03 and 07;
• 1 no. medical unit (245 sq m) located at ground floor level at Block 02;
• A new childcare facility (463 sq m) and associated outdoor play area located at ground floor level at Block 10; and
• A new community centre facility, including a multi-purpose hall, changing rooms, meeting rooms, storage and associated facilities (1,684 sq m) located at ground and first floor level at Block 06.
Vehicular access to the site will be from the existing access off Dundrum Road, as revised, and from a new access also off Dundrum Road to the south of the existing access.
The development will also consist of the provision of public open space and related play areas; hard and soft landscaping including internal roads, cycle and pedestrian routes, pathways and boundary treatments, street furniture, wetland feature, part-basement, car parking (547 no. spaces in total, including car sharing and accessible spaces); motorcycle parking; electric vehicle charging points; bicycle parking (long and short stay spaces including stands); ESB substations, piped infrastructural services and connections (including connection into existing surface water sewer in St. Columbanus Road); ducting; plant (including external plant for district heating and pumping station); waste management provision; SuDS measures (including green roofs); attenuation tanks; sustainability measures (including solar panels); signage; public lighting; any making good works to perimeter wall and all site development and excavation works above and below ground.